Thursday, May 19, 2011

Model Poem: How do I Love Thee??

Abd. Gafur Yusuf, an English teacher from Paser, East Kalimantan, Indonesia, analyzes a model poem entitling How do I Love Thee?? composed by Elizabeth Barret Browning. He argues that the poem is suitable for MTs/SMP students since it is simple and familiar with them.

How Do I Love Thee??

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!--and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
By: Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The title
How Do I Love Thee?
The narrator
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Type of poem
Model Poem
Paraphrase
The narrator asks how she loves her beloved and tries to list the different ways in which she loves him. Her love seems to be eternal and to exist everywhere, and she intends to continue loving him after her own death, if God lets her.
Poetic devices
·    Rhyme  : Perfect rhyme → abba abba ababab
·    Rhythm :
    Line 1   : How do I/ love thee?/ Let me/ count/ the ways
                    Five feet/pentameter: 
                        1st foot → dactylic
                        2nd foot → spondaic
                        3rd and 4th feet → trochaic
                        5th foot → iambic
   Line 2   :  I love/ thee to the/ depth and/ breadth and/ height
                    Five feet/pentameter
                        1st foot → iambic
                        2nd and 4th feet →  dactylic
                        3rd and 5th  feet → trochaic
    Line 3   :  My soul/ can reach,/ when feel/ ing out/ of sight
                    Five feet/pentameter → iambic
    Line 4   :  For the ends/ of Be/ ing and/ ideal/ Grace
                    Five feet/Pentameter
                        1st foot → anapestic
                        2nd and 3rd feet iambic
                        4th and 5th feet trochaic
    Line 5   :  I love/ thee to the/ level of/ everyday’s
                    Four feet feet/tetrameter
                        1st foot iambic
                        2nd, 3rd, and 4th feet dactylic
    Line 6   :  Most quiet/ need, by/ sun and/ candlelight
                    Four feet/tetrameter
                        1st foot → spondaic
                        2nd and 3rd feet → trochaic
                        4th foot → dactylic     
    Line 7   :  I love/ thee free/ ly, as men/ strive/ for right
                    Five feet /pentameter
                        1st and 5th feet → iambic
                        2nd foot spondaic
                        3rd foot anapestic
                        4th foot → trochaic
    Line 8   :  I love/ thee pure/ ly, as they/ turn from/ Praise
                    Five feet/pentameter
                        1st foot iambic
                        2nd foot → spondaic
                        3rd foot anapestic
                        4th and 5th → trochaic
    Line 9   :  I love/ thee with/ the pass/ ion put/ to use
                    Five feet / pentameter
                        1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th feet → iambic
                        2rd foot → trochaic
    Line 10 :  In my old/ griefs, and with/ my child/ hood’s faith
                    Four feet / tetrameter
                        1st foot → anapestic   
                        2nd foot dactylic
                        3rd and 4th feet iambic
    Line 11 :  I love/ thee with a/ love I/ seemed/ to lose
                    Five feet / pentameter
                        1st and 5th feet → iambic
                        2nd foot → dactylic
                        3rd and 4th feet → trochaic
    Line 12 :  With my lost/ saints, I/ love thee/ with the breath
                    Four feet / tetrameter
                        1st and 4th feet → anapestic
                        2nd foot → dactylic
                        3rd foot → spondaic
  Line 13 :  Smiles,/ tears, of/ all my/ life! And, If/ God choose
                    Five feet / pentameter
                        1st, 2nd, and 3rd feet → trochaic
                        4th foot → dactylic
                        5th foot → spondaic
    Line 14 :  I shall/ but love/ thee bet/ ter af/ ter death
                    Five feet / pentameter
                        1st, 2nd, and 5th feet →iambic
                        3rd foot → trochaic
                        4th foot → spondaic
·    Alliteration : None
·    Simile :
    Line 7   :  I love thee freely, as men strive for Right
    Line 8   :  I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise
·    Metaphor :  The narrator uses a spatial metaphor to describe the extent of her love, comparing her soul to a physical, three-dimensional object in the world.
·    Onomatopoeia : None
·    Personification : None
·    Hyperbole : None
·    Oxymoron : None
Kinds of stanza
·    Sonnet because the poem consists of fourteen lines.
Style
·    The use of special diction, that is thee instead of using “you” to make it deeper and more meaningful.
Poetic diction
·    Allusion : The use of diction “sun and candle-light (line 6) images of different kinds of light.
·    Parody : none
·    Repetition : In line two, three words have a "th" sound, and a fourth word ("height") comes close. These breathy syllables soften the line, making it more difficult to fit it into a traditional iambic pentameter rhythm. In fact, throughout the poem there's an excess of "th" sounds, some of them voiced (like the "th" in "thee") and some of them unvoiced (like the "th" in "depth"). It might be interesting to think about how the two different kinds of "th" sounds fall into patterns in the poem.
·    Ambiguity : none
·    Pun : none
·    Paradox : none
·    Irony : none
Content
·    Theme : Love
·    Tone : Romantic
·   Message : We should express our love purely till death do us a part.
Comment
·   The model poem is suitable for MTs students since it is simple and familiar with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...