Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Popular Poem: The Angel

William Blake narrated a poem entitling The Angel. This poem is suitable to teach Junior High School students because the language used is not so difficult. Besides, the moral value or the message from the poem is important for them.

THE ANGEL 
By William Blake

I Dreamt a Dream! what can it mean? 
And that I was a maiden Queen: 
Guarded by an Angel mild; 
Witless woe, was neer beguil'd!

And I wept both night and day
And he wip'd my tears away
And I wept both day and night
And hid from him my hearts delight

So he took his wings and fled:
Then the morn blush'd rosy red:
I dried my tears & armd my fears,
With ten thousand shields and spears.

Soon my Angel came again;
I was arm'd, he came in vain:
For the time of youth was fled
And grey hairs were on my head

1.  Rhyme Scheme and Kind of Stanza
     The rhyme scheme and the kind of stanza of “The Angel”  Poem By William Blake are as follows  :
     a – a – b – b: quatrain
     a – a – b – b: quatrain
     a – a – b – b: quatrain
     a – a – b – b: quatrain
2.  Repetition
     And I wept (in stanza 2 line 1 and 2)
3.  Denotation and Connotation
     a.  Denotation
          dreamt (v)                 = imagine something that we would like to happen
          dream (n)                  = wonderful thing or person
          witless woe               = a great sadness that is considered stupid
          was neer beguil'd!
          wept                          = cried
          wip'd my tears away   = remove my tears
          delight                      = get a lot of pleasure
          fled                           = escaped
          the morn                   = morning
     b.  Connotation
          a maiden queen         = young unmarried queen
          an angel mild             = a spiritual being that is very beautiful
          blush'd rosy red          = become redder
          shield                        = something that provides protection against danger or risk
4.  Symbol
     an Angel mild         = the hope
     shields and spears = our strength
     grey hairs               = old age
5.  Metaphors
     an Angel mild         = the hope
     shields and spears  = our strength
     grey hairs               = old age
6.  Time and Place Setting
     It happened in the country where the poet, William Blake, lives—it is in British in 1800s.
7.  Theme
     The hope that is not achieved
8.  Message
     We should be grateful to whatever condition that the God the Almighty has endowed us.

Analyzed by Sahdan, an English Teacher
Picture by www.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...